The late Peter Hinman researched a number of long-established Lighthorne families and some of his research is in digital form and can be accessed via the Archive page.
Surveys of the gravestone inscriptions in St. Laurence’s Church graveyard were conducted in the early 20th century by the Rev. Harvey Bloom and in 1985 a survey of the gravestone inscriptions and the memorial inscriptions within the church was published by the Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry (LH150).
In 1999 a GPS survey of the graves in the churchyard was undertaken by Butler Sherborn of Burford, but this lacks accuracy.
In 2007 Irene Proudman and the late John Boom started the task of resurveying the gravestones and allocating them, as far as possible, to the 1999 plan. This proved difficult as the 1999 plan was inaccurate. Between 2011 and 2014 a number of members of the society, under the direction of Colin Such, dug up the gravestones which had been laid horizontal and covered by earth, triangulated the graveyard and plotted the positions of the graves on a 1:100 plan. They recorded the inscriptions and cross-checked them with the earlier surveys. A number of anomalies remain and several of the gravestones located in the earlier surveys were not found. This is a link to the Excel spreadsheet on which the information is recorded LH148(E).
For a sketch map of all of the located grave positions, please click this link.
For a sketch map of all of the located grave positions with prefixes NW and W please click this link. For a sketch map of all of the located grave positions with prefixes SW please click this link. For a sketch map of all of the located grave positions with prefixes N and NE please click this link. For a sketch map of all of the located grave positions with prefixes E please click this link. For a sketch map of all of the located grave positions with prefixes S ans SE please click this link.
The society archive contains photographs of the majority of the gravestones which were laid horizontal and have now been uncovered.
Transcription of Parish Registers
The Lighthorne parish registers start from 1538 and are written in secretary script, partly in Latin and partly in English. They are stored at the Warwickshire County Record Office, as DR18/1 – DR18/6. The currently available transcriptions of these records vary in their accuracy and there is an ongoing project to transcribe these records and make them available via this website. Colin Such has completed transcribing and indexing the entries from 1597 to 1678. We are grateful to the Record Office for giving us permission to publish this work. Please click here for the 1597 – 1678 transcription and index. Work is now in progress on the register commencing 1538. Colin would welcome assistance. Previous experience, although useful, is not essential. Please contact Colin on 01926 962327 or via the Contacts page if you relish a challenge!